Monday, June 28, 2010

Aerial at Teefury!

I have another design featured at Teefury this upcoming Tuesday (the 29th)! You can get it for $11! The sale will start at 9pm (Pacific Time) on Tuesday the 29th and end 24 hours later at 9pm on Wednesday the 30th.

Link to the site:

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

S'more Digital Paintings

I've been working nonstop as of late, so I have a lot of work to show!.. but I'll save some of it for another post. I'll start off with an updated version of an older piece.

Lately I've been fond of adding little floating particles to my pieces. It adds more dimension to my work and it keeps the piece from looking too clean and flat.

This piece was inspired by my D&D human rogue character from long ago! My character liked to throw knives. Took forever to get done, but I'm glad that I stuck with it till the very end. I learned so much while doing this piece (Note the dust particles floating in the air and the use of blurring). I also approached this piece differently than my older pieces in that I worked in gray scale and then added color afterward; this way gives me more control over the colors. I'm proud of how far I got with the piece, but the composition feels a little weird to me.

Here's another game character, but this time from World of Warcraft (that's right, I gave the 10 day trial a try). I tried painting this guy by using a solid black silhouette as the base. The final image turned out a lot darker than planned, so I had to lighten him up. It would have been easier to start off with a mid tone. I traced the solid-base silhouette from a screen shot of the character, so the proportions look weird because of the character stylization, not me! However, I think I really really messed up on how really knees and elbow joints are suppose to looke like :p

Yup, he's missin' his jaw! And eyes. But that's fairly normal for an undead.

Friday, June 11, 2010


I always like to record my process on my pieces from start to finish, but I always tend to remember to do so when I'm already halfway through a piece. Luckily, I remembered to do it for this piece! This piece took around 6-7 hours, which is pretty fast (it usually takes days for me to get stuff done). Those 6-7 work hours were divided into two sessions, with 3 hours in between the two sessions for sleep/break (I ended up getting no sleep and pretty much stayed up all night).

I was extremely proud of myself and impressed at how fast I was able to get this finished. I thought the overall piece looked too much like Aaron Horkey's work (the drop shadow idea was inspired by his work), but my brother said that the overall piece was my style. His statement has validity due to the fact that he is a die hard Horkey fan, owning a couple of Horkey prints and spending too much money on prints altogether. Coincidentally, it was my friend's birthday the day that I completed this piece, so she got it as a birthday present!

Not coincidence, actually. I felt like drawing a gift for them, haha!

Friday, June 4, 2010


Took forever to finish, mainly because I kept forgetting about it! Check out all the little symbols on the beads! I threw in a skull, an eye, and some stars on one or two bead segments for kicks.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Stuff I completely forgot to post.

Here are some assignments I did for my illustration class last semester (the semester that just ended). I was meaning to post these right after completing them, but whoop dee doo I forgot.

Assignment: Using only reference sketches and memory, complete a drawing that demonstrates the moods and/or feelings of a particular place or area.

I took the easy way out and drew my room. Not only was it an easy location to visit ( sarcasm, I'm always in my room), I practically know my room inside and out, making the need for reference sketches almost obsolete. I wanted to convey a warm and cozy feeling, but I don't think that worked out too well. I wanted the finished piece to have a sketchbook feel to it, so I drew out all my lines and then scanned the drawing up so I could thicken some of the lines in photoshop. I'm fond of using minty green colors, so that's why I decided to color my walls in said color. Next!

Assignment: Pick an editorial article and create an illustration for it; Narrative illustration project. (Somewhat bummed out that we weren't going to actually illustrate a story. I was looking forward to drawing knights and dragons).

The article I chose to illustrate was about stem cell research. The finished illustration was pretty straight forward; A stream of stem cells flowing from a petri dish, changing into nerve cells. It didn't really illustrate the article specifically and could have been used for any article about anything relating to stem cells. I had a different concept that had a scientist surfing on a stem cell with student interns surfing behind him while he led the way, which would have worked with the article better since the article was about students interning with real researchers, but I scrapped the idea because it wasn't serious enough for the publication.

Looking back at all my assignments from my illustration classes, I can conclude that my style was all over the place and I didn't do too well when it came to picking a style and sticking with it. I can tell, though, that the stem cell illustration shares similarities with my past illustration of an unraveling brain, meaning that I was starting to settle down with some sort of style.